September is National Self-Care Awareness Month. As we enter the six month of the pandemic, we encourage you to take a step back and re-focus on self-care. We hope you will find these self-care strategies useful for yourself and your community.
If you’re experiencing an emergency and are unable to place a voice call, you can send a text to 911. Follow these steps to request emergency services:
How to Properly Wear Your Facemask
Wearing a face mask in public helps prevent the spread of COVID-19 — but only if worn properly, covering both your nose and mouth. Read mask-wearing tips to get the maximum protection for yourself and others.
MONTGOMERY COUNTY RESOURCES
FREE CRISIS HOTLINES
· Montgomery County Crisis Center: 240-777-4000
· EveryMind Hotline: 301-424-0656
· Participating taxicab companies will pick up and deliver food and meals from grocery stores, food banks and carry-out restaurants to Call-n-Ride participants’ doorstep. This is a contact-less delivery service; a phone call will confirm delivery. Click here for more information about scheduling and fare.
· Comprehensive Guide to Public, Private, and Non-Profit Transportation for People with Disabilities & Adults 50+ and other Transportation Options in Montgomery County
Note – please call ahead to each organization, as protocol may have changed to follow pandemic guidelines
· Virtual Recreation Hub for fitness, arts and crafts, virtual trips and tours, and much more!
· Engage@Home YouTube Channel from Montgomery County Caregiver Support Program
FOR OLDER ADULTS
· UPDATED /6/20 - FAQs for Older Adults
· ElderSAFE Community Resource Guide from Charles E. Smith Life Communities
· Teens Helping Seniors – for contact-less grocery delivery
· AARP Coronavirus Information Tele-Town Halls
Thursdays | 1:00 pm | 855-274-9507
· Multilingual Food Assistance Resources & Food Assistance Referral Map
· Montgomery County Food Council – Resources on food assistance, grocery resources, benefit resources, prepared meals, including for seniors, and how to help. This site is also translated in Spanish.
· Food Assistance Resource Directory (FARD): Location, hours, and eligibility guidelines for 100+ sites in Montgomery County where residents can access food and benefits application assistance.
o *Please note that hours of operation for providers listed in the FARD are subject to change, pending closures and staff availability during the COVID-19 outbreak. Please call ahead to verify opening hours.
· Capital Area Food Bank Community Hubs in Montgomery County remain open. This site is also translated in Spanish.
· flyers in English & Spanish for how to request food from Manna Food Center’s warehouse and food distribution sites are serving food to the community.
· Adventist Community Services sites continue to operate
SUBURBAN HOSPITAL ONLINE PROGRAMMING
Suburban Free Webinar Series | Registration is required at events.suburbanhospital.org
Please review the schedule above, with several featured programs below:
Virtual Better Breathers Club
Tuesday, August 18 | 10-11 AM | FREE
Be part of this patient-centered and community-based club that supports persons with chronic lung disease including COPD, asthma, idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis, and lung cancer. Families, friends and support persons are welcome to attend. Registration is required. August Topic: Exercising & Lung Disease
Tuesdays | August 18 – 22 | 10-10:45 AM | $70
This serene workout of continuous flowing movement gently yet effectively works many systems of the body. Based on traditional Tai Chi movements, TaijiFit repeats these movements in succession to build confidence and comfort in Tai Chi. Appropriate for all ages and fitness levels to the Tai Chi experience through the concept of Flow.
NEW - Reopening: How to Go Out & Feel Safe Against COVID-19
Wednesday, August 19 | 1-2 PM | FREE
Many people have been quarantined for months to help prevent the spread of COVID-19. Now that several businesses are reopening, and people are starting to resume their normal routines and going out more frequently, it’s important to know the best ways to protect yourself while enjoying going out. Tips to prevent the spread, how to gather with people, shop and dine with low risk of getting COVID-19, Reducing the spread of germs around kids and Protecting the most vulnerable population.
NEW - Be Fast!
Thursday, August 27 | 1-2 PM | FREE
What would you do if your loved one was experiencing a stroke? Do you know the warning signs of a potential brain attack? Every minute counts! Join Mary Rucker, program manager of the NIH Stroke Center at Suburban Hospital, as she details lifesaving strategies from the field so you can B.E. F.A.S.T.
OASIS LIFELONG LEARNING ONLINE PROGRAMMING
ONGOING - Summer Online Classes | Browse catalogue and register at https://washington-metro.oasisnet.org/
Please note that classes are being added on a rolling basis – continue to check the schedule above.
UPDATED - In addition to Suburban Hospital’s Nutrition and Weight Management classes, your local Giant Food also offers virtual services. Upcoming sessions include:
Virtual Store Tour
Thursday, August 13 | 6:00 PM | FREE
Join Giant's nutritionist for a virtual tour through each section of the store to identify items that can be included in a healthy, balanced diet. You'll also get answers to the top questions we typically get during our store tours, along with dispelling some shopping myths.
Build a Better Breakfast
Tuesday, August 11 | 6:00 PM | FREE
If you’ve got breakfast boredom, we can help! Join us to learn easy ways to make a quick breakfast from scratch, products to consider if you don’t like to cook, and ways to break your fast outside of the traditional cereal box.
Nutrition for Fitness Lovers
Tuesday, August 18 | 6:00 PM | FREE
Our new normal has provided new opportunities for staying fit or starting a new movement program. No matter if you are just starting out, a weekend warrior, or a performance athlete, join us for nutrition tips and strategies to fuel your workouts.
For more free content from Giant Food Nutritionists, click here.